Although permanent teeth were meant to last a lifetime, there are a number of reasons why tooth extraction may be needed. A very common reason involves a tooth that is too badly damaged, from trauma or decay, to be repaired.
Dental Extractions in Huntington Beach
Teeth are extracted for a variety of reasons:
- Decay has reached deep into the tooth
- Infection has destroyed a large portion of the tooth
- There is not enough room for all the teeth in your mouth
Wisdom Teeth Extractions
An oral and maxillofacial surgeon or your dentist can remove (extract) a wisdom tooth. The procedure often can be done in the dentist's or surgeon's office. You may have the surgery in the hospital, especially if you are having all your wisdom teeth pulled at one time or if you are at high risk for complications.
Care After Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Don’t rinse your mouth in the next 24 hours.
- Keep a soft or liquid diet for 48 hours and then gradually add easy to chew foods.
- Brush and floss normally, avoid the teeth and gum next to the extraction area.
- After 24 hours rinse the extraction area with warm salt water after meals and before bed.
- NO SMOKING or sucking motion (straws), this will unlodge the clot building in your mouth and cause “dry socket”.
Talk to our Dentist Specialist from Huntington Beach
At Beach Dentistry we care for your dental health. Call us today at (714) 681-1200 or make your appointment today and talk to your dentist in Huntington Beach.
Make an Appointment
Call us at: (714) 681-1200
or submit your request below.
We hope you’ll join our dental family of friends
We aim to provide our patients with care that lasts a lifetime. We’re happy that a lot of our continuing patients need no further care and occasionally people move far away, so we’re always happy to have new faces become a part of our family.
We would love to have you join us.
We look forward to seeing you.